Do Pharmacy Technicians get regulated in Connecticut?
Yes, Pharmacy Technicians are regulated.
Is certification required for one to practice as Pharmacy Technician in Connecticut?
Yes, Pharmacy Technicians are required to acquire certification by the State Board of Pharmacy in Connecticut before they can practice.
What certification exams are approved by the State Board of Pharmacy in Connecticut?
As of today, the approved certification is PTCB (PTCE).
Is license required in Connecticut to practice as Pharmacy Technicians?
Yes, although The State Board of Pharmacy allow technicians to work even without the certification yet. However, you must make sure to obtain Pharmacy Technician Certificate of Registration within 30 days.
What should I do to become a License Pharmacy Technician?
- You must acquire PTCB certification or other certification programs approved by the State Board of Pharmacy in Connecticut.
- You have to submit a written application requesting registration as a Pharmacy Technician at the Connecticut State Board of Pharmacy. You may download application form here.
- Include the $100 registration fee either thru money order or personal check paid to the “Treasurer, State of Connecticut.”
Is training required for Pharmacy Technicians in Connecticut?
No, however, once you become a licensed Pharmacy Technician, you are required to work under direct supervision of a licensed pharmacist in Connecticut.
Are Pharmacy Technicians required to have a Continuing Education or CE?
No, Pharmacy Technicians are not required to have continuing education. However, the pharmacist-in-charge is obliged to provide continuing in-service training to the technicians under their supervision.
When does Pharmacy Technician need to renew their license?
Connecticut Pharmacy Technicians must renew their license on a yearly basis.
What must be done if I change jobs or change my home address?
You must send notification to the Connecticut Commission of Pharmacy within five (5) days.
Other requirements to keep in mind for Pharmacy Technicians in Connecticut:
- Technicians must wear their nametag at all times during working hours to identify him or her as a pharmacy technician.
- Pharmacy technicians may only perform pharmacy functions that do not require professional judgment.
- In Connecticut, two (2) Pharmacy Technicians must work hand in hand with every one (1) licensed pharmacist on-duty.
The Connecticut State Board of Pharmacy Information
Address: 165 Capitol Avenue. Hartford, CT
Phone: 860-713-6100 or
Toll-free No: 800-842-2649
The CPA or Connecticut Pharmacists Association