Do Pharmacy Technicians get regulated Illinois?
Yes, the State Board of Pharmacy in Illinois regulate Pharmacy Technicians.
Is certification required for one to practice as Pharmacy Technician in Illinois?
No, however you need to be certified within two years of being a licensed pharmacy technician to be able to renew your license.
Which certification exams are required by the State Board of Pharmacy in Illinois?
The approved certification exams are PTCB (PTCE) and/or ICPT (ExCPT).
Is Pharmacy Technician licensure required in Illinois?
Yes, although you can start work and assist a pharmacist up to 60 days while waiting for the application to get approved provided you can show a copy of the application form and keep a copy of it in the pharmacy during the work period.
What should I do to become a License Pharmacy Technician?
- You have to be at least 16 years old or older.
- Must have a high school diploma or its equivalent or in the process of completing it.
- You must submit a written application requesting registration as a Pharmacy Technician at the Illinois State Board of Pharmacy. See application here.
- Include the $60 registration. Fees are non-refundable
- Once certified, you can already apply to be a licensed pharmacy technician by showing proof of graduation from the training program you have undertaken or documents coming from the Illinois licensed pharmacist-in-charge of your training. Include the result of your PTCE or ExCPT certification exams as proof.
Is training required for Pharmacy Technicians in Illinois?
Yes, training is required from the licensed Pharmacy Technician and must complete the following areas:
- Pharmacy technicians and pharmacists’ duties and responsibilities.
- Policies, procedures, technical skills and tasks.
- Responsibilities and duties of pharmacy technicians and pharmacist.
- Storage, labeling, packaging and compounding.
- Record keeping requirements
- Performing and applying mathematical equations.
Are Pharmacy Technicians required to have a Continuing Education or CE?
No, Pharmacy Technicians are not required to have continuing education by the State Board of Illinois.
How often is the Pharmacy Technician License renewal required?
Pharmacy Technicians must renew their license annually. Licenses expire on March 31 regardless of the date of issue.
What must be done if I change jobs or change my home address?
The Illinois State Board of Pharmacy must be notified within 30 days to the Division of Professional Regulation – LMU1 320 West Washington Street, 3rd Floor, Springfield IL 62786
Other Illinois Pharmacy Technician requirements to keep in mind:
- Illinois pharmacy technician’s certificate must be visible and displayed at a designated place in the pharmacy at all times.
- Pharmacist whose license has been revoked, denied, suspended or restricted for disciplinary action can be registered or employed as a pharmacy technician in Illinois.
IL Division of Professional Regulation: Board of Pharmacy
Office: 320 West Washington Street, Suite 312 Springfield, Illinois 62791
Telephone: 217-782-8556 Fax: (217)782-7645
Mail: P.O. Box 7007
Professional Association for Pharmacy Technician Illinois residents:
The Illinois Pharmacists Association