Do Pharmacy Technicians get regulated in Montana?
Yes, Pharmacy Technicians do get regulated in Montana.
Is certification required for one to practice as Pharmacy Technician in Montana?
Yes, they are required to get certification before they can practice as a pharmacy technician in Montana.
What are the approved certification exams required by the State Board of Pharmacy in Montana?
The approved certification exams include PTCB (PTCE) and/or ICPT (ExCPT).
When does Pharmacy Technician registration needed?
Registration is needed by the Pharmacy Technician before employment starts.
Is Pharmacy Technician licensure required in Montana?
Yes, pharmacy technicians are required to get a license.
What should I do to become a License Pharmacy Technician?
- You have to be at least 18 years old or older.
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Must obtain a national certification. If not yet certified as a pharmacy technician, you must apply for a pharmacy technician-in-training permit valid for 18 months while working out your certification.
- Submit a written application requesting registration as a Pharmacy Technician at the Montana State Board of Pharmacy.
- You must include your recent passport-type photo.
- Include the $60 registration fee.
- Include three references including a practicing pharmacist.
Is training required for Pharmacy Technicians in Montana?
Yes and must be supervised by a licensed pharmacist during the on-the-job training.
Are Pharmacy Technicians required to have a Continuing Education or CE?
Yes, Pharmacy Technicians who wants to keep his or her national certification must have 20 units of continuing education every 2 years and must be certified in Montana.
How often is the Pharmacy Technician License renewal required?
Montana License for Pharmacy Technicians must be renewed annually. The period of renewal will start from May 1 to June 30 with a renewal fee of $50. You may download form here.
What must be done if I change jobs or change my home address?
Changes in address or job should be reported to the Montana State Board of Pharmacy immediately.
Other Montana Pharmacy Technician requirements to keep in mind:
- Montana pharmacy technician’s may handle pharmacy operations for up to half an hour in the absence of a pharmacist but may not perform certain pharmacy tasks.
- Technicians must wear their nametag at all times during working hours to identify him or her as a pharmacy technician and must display the certificate in the pharmacy premise where it is visible.
- Pharmacy technicians can only perform pharmacy functions that do not require professional judgment.
- The pharmacist-in-charge may supervise up to three (3) pharmacy technicians in the pharmacy.
- Experience pharmacy technicians may take on a limited supervisory tasks within a hospital setting provide he or she has completed the Montana “technician check technician” program.
Montana Board of Pharmacy
Office: 301 S. Park Ave., 4th Floor. Helena, MT 59620-0513
Mail: PO Box 200513
Telephone: 406-841-2371 Fax: 406-841-2305
Professional Association for Montana pharmacy techs:
Montana Pharmacy Association