Do Pharmacy Technicians get regulated in New York?
Not at this moment, Pharmacy Technicians are not regulated in New York. This may change however, as there is an ongoing discussion on this subject matter at the State Office of Professions in New York.
Is certification required for one to practice as Pharmacy Technician in New York?
No, certification is not required at this time for Pharmacy Technician to practice in New York. But there are several pharmacy chains that require certification for pharmacy technicians under their employment.
When is registration for pharmacy technicians required?
Registration is not required by the State Board of Pharmacy in New York to pharmacy technicians.
Are Pharmacy Technicians required to get their license in New York?
No, Pharmacy Technicians working in New York are not required to get a license.
What should I do to become a License Pharmacy Technician in New York?
- Get hired in a retail or hospital pharmacy as a pharmacy technician.
- Find out the complete information regarding the expected job skills and experience requirements set by employers. Employers or every pharmacy establishment have different standards of job requirements and entry level qualifications of pharmacy technicians.
- Most pharmacy employers require pharmacy technicians to attain high school level education at the very least. Others prefer pharmacy technicians to have associate degree or certification of completion of a training program.
Is training required for Pharmacy Technicians in New York?
Yes, a training program is required by the State Board of Pharmacy in New York to every Pharmacy Technician which is under the responsibility of the pharmacist-in-charge in the place of employment.
Are Pharmacy Technicians required to have a Continuing Education or CE?
No, but for those who are nationally certified and would want to retain that certification is required to have 20 units of continuing education every two years.
How often is the Pharmacy Technician License renewal required?
New York license renewal for Pharmacy Technicians is not required.
Other New York Pharmacy Technician requirements to keep in mind:
- Pharmacy technicians are only allowed to perform pharmacy duties that do not require professional judgment.
- All actions undertaken by the pharmacy technician is under the responsibility of the supervising pharmacist.
- Pharmacist-in-charge are only allowed to supervise two pharmacy technicians at a time.
New York State Education Department: Office of the Professions
Office: State Education Building, 89 Washington Avenue, Room 201. Albany, NY 12234-1000
Telephone: 518-474-3817 ext. 130
Professional Association for New York Pharm Techs:
New York State Council of Health-system Pharmacists (NYSCHP)