Do Pharmacy Technicians get regulated in Ohio?
Yes, pharmacy technicians are regulated in Ohio.
Is certification required for Pharmacy Technicians in Ohio?
No, certification for pharmacy technicians in Ohio is not required by the State Board of Pharmacy.
What exams are approved by the State Board of Pharmacy in Ohio?
The approved exams are PTCB (PTCE) and ICPT (ExCPT).
When is registration for pharmacy technicians required?
Registration is not required..
Are Pharmacy Technicians required to get their license in Ohio?
No, Pharmacy Technicians working in Ohio are not required to get a license.
What should I do to become a License Pharmacy Technician in Ohio?
- Applicant must be 18 years old or above.
- Must have a high school diploma or its equivalent.
- Must be willing to submit to a criminal background check from the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation and from the FBI.
- Must be a Board-Approved technician passer. You can work as a pharmacy technician without passing the board exam yet for up to 12 months provided you are still studying and have the intention to take the exam after.
Is training required for Pharmacy Technicians in Ohio?
Yes, a training program is required by the State Board of Pharmacy in Ohio to Pharmacy Technicians under the supervision of a licensed pharmacist. A record of the training must be kept.
Are Pharmacy Technicians required to have a Continuing Education or CE?
No, however a pharmacy technician must complete 20 units of continuing education (CE) every two years if he or she is nationally certified in order to maintain that certification.
How often is the Pharmacy Technician License renewal required?
License renewal for Pharmacy Technician is not required in Ohio.
What should be done if I change jobs or change my home address?
Report any changes to the Ohio State Board of Pharmacy.
Other Ohio Pharmacy Technician requirements to keep in mind:
- Pharmacy technicians may only perform tasks that do not require professional judgment.
- All actions undertaken by the pharmacy technician is under the responsibility of the supervising pharmacist.
Ohio State Board of Pharmacy
Office: 77 S High St, Room 1702. Columbus, OH 43215-6126
Professional Association for Ohio Pharmacy Technicians:
Ohio Pharmacists Association (OPA)