Do Pharmacy Technicians get regulated in Indiana?
Yes, Pharmacy Technicians do get regulated in Indiana.
Is certification required for one to practice as Pharmacy Technician in Indiana?
No, the State Board of Pharmacy in Indiana does not require certification to Pharmacy Technicians.
What are the approved certification exams required by the State Board of Pharmacy in Indiana?
There are two approved certification exams, the PTCB (PTCE) and/or ICPT (ExCPT).
When does Pharmacy Technician registration starts?
Pharmacy Technician registration begins July 1 of odd-numbered years.
Is Pharmacy Technician licensure required in Indiana?
Yes, you need to obtain a technician-in-training certification within 30 days of work in a pharmacy. If you have completed the approve State Board of Pharmacy in Indiana training program or have received pharmacy technician certification, you can then renew your license annually.
What should I do to become a License Pharmacy Technician?
- You have to be at least 18 years old or older.
- Must have a high school diploma or its equivalent.
- You must have no record of felony convictions pertaining to drugs and other controlled substances.
- You must submit a written application requesting registration as a Pharmacy Technician to the Professional Licensing agency with address 402 W Washington Street, Room W072, Indianapolis, IN 46204.
- Enclose a proof of copy for completing a board approved training and education program or proof of passing the certification exam either the PTCB or the ICPT. If you do not have these credentials or qualification, you are required to apply and undertake a technician-in-training in a pharmacy for one year.
- Submit with your application a criminal background check and fingerprints chart.
- Include the $60 biennial registration fee either in money order or personal check.
Is training required for Pharmacy Technicians in Indiana?
Yes, during the one year technician-in-training period.
Are Pharmacy Technicians required to have a Continuing Education or CE?
Yes, Pharmacy Technicians who practice in Indiana is required to have continuing education to maintain certification if you are a certified pharmacy technician.
How often is the Pharmacy Technician License renewal required?
Indiana License for Pharmacy Technicians must be renewed on the 30th of June of even-numbered years. The renewal fee is $25.
What must be done if I change jobs or change my home address?
The Indiana State Board of Pharmacy requires you to submit your change of address at mylicense.in.gov/egov or submit a written notification to the State Board of Pharmacy in Indiana. Include in the written notice your name, certification number and the new and old addresses. You can send this notification thru email pla4@pla.IN.gov or by fax to (317) 233-4236.
Other Indiana Pharmacy Technician requirements to keep in mind:
- Technicians must wear their nametag at all times during working hours to identify him or her as a pharmacy technician and must display his certification in the pharmacy as well.
- Technicians must identify himself as a pharmacy technician when answering an electronic or telephone communication device..
- In the State of Indiana, a licensed pharmacist may supervise up to 4 pharmacy technicians.
Professional Licensing Agency Attn: Indiana Board of Pharmacy
Office: 402 W. Washington Street, Room W072. Indianapolis, Indiana 46204
Telephone: (317) 234-2067 Fax: (317) 233-4236
Professional Association for Indiana Pharmacy Technicians:
Indiana Pharmacists Alliance