Do Pharmacy Technicians get regulated in Kentucky?
Yes, Pharmacy Technicians do get regulated in Kentucky.
Is certification required for one to practice as Pharmacy Technician in Kentucky?
No, however a Pharmacy Technician with board approved certification may be given additional duties under supervision of a licensed pharmacist.
What are the approved certification exams required by the State Board of Pharmacy in Kentucky?
The approved certification exams approved by the State Board of Pharmacy in Kentucky are PTCB (PTCE) and/or ICPT (ExCPT).
When is registration for Pharmacy Technician start?
Pharmacy Technician registration should be acquired within 30 days upon employment.
Is Pharmacy Technician licensure required in Kentucky?
Yes, pharmacy technician must be registered at the State Board of Pharmacy in Kentucky within 30 days from date of employment.
What should I do to become a License Pharmacy Technician?
- You have to be 16 years old or older.
- You must download the application forms here and submit a written application requesting registration as a Pharmacy Technician at the Kentucky State Board of Pharmacy.
- Include the $25 non-refundable application fee.
Is training required for Pharmacy Technicians in Kentucky?
No, training is not required by the State Board of Pharmacy in Kentucky.
Are Pharmacy Technicians required to have a Continuing Education or CE?
No, Pharmacy Technicians are not required to have continuing education to practice as a pharmacy technician in Kentucky.
How often is the Pharmacy Technician License renewal required?
Kentucky License for Pharmacy Technicians must be renewed annually. The license will expire on March 31 of the renewal year. Renewal fee is $25. You may download the renewal fee here.
What must be done if I change jobs or change my home address?
The Kentucky State Board of Pharmacy must be notified within 30 days. Download the forms for change address or change employment here.
More Kentucky Pharmacy Technician requirements to keep in mind:
- Kentucky pharmacy technician’s certificate must be displayed at a designated place in the pharmacy at all times and the technician’s pocket card should also be in his/her possession while working in the pharmacy.
- Volunteer pharmacy technicians working in pharmacies operated by a charitable provider may not pay their registration and/or renewal fees.
- Supervising pharmacist takes full responsibility for all the actions of the pharmacy technician.
Kentucky Board of Pharmacy
Office: State Office Building Annex, Ste 300, 125 Holmes Street. Frankfort, KY 40601
Telephone: 502-564-7910 Fax: 502-696-3806
Professional Association for Pharmacy Techs:
Kentucky Pharmacists Association