Do Pharmacy Technicians get regulated in Louisiana?
Yes, Pharmacy Technicians do get regulated in Louisiana.
Is certification required for one to practice as Pharmacy Technician in Louisiana?
Yes, Pharmacy Technicians are required to have certification by the State Board of Pharmacy in Louisiana.
Which certification exam is approved by the State Board of Pharmacy in Louisiana?
The approved certification exam is PTCB (PTCE).
When does Pharmacy Technician registration begin?
Pharmacy Technician registration begins before getting practical experience from a pharmacy in Louisiana
Are Pharmacy Technicians required to obtain license in Louisiana?
Yes, pharmacy technicians are required to have a license from the State Board of Pharmacy in Louisiana. All registrants are given up to 18 months from date of registration to complete the education and training requirements for licensing.
What should I do to become a License Pharmacy Technician?
- You have to be at least 18 years old or older.
- Must have a high school diploma or its equivalent.
- A written application requesting registration as a Pharmacy Technician must be submitted to the Louisiana State Board of Pharmacy including a fee of $25 which is non-refundable.
- Must submit a criminal background check.
- Must submit proof of enrollment Board approved pharmacy technician with the curriculum as contained in the Pharmacy Technician Training Program Minimum Competencies.
- You must have passed the State Board of Pharmacy Exam – PTCE.
- You must have completed the 600 hours of experience in the field with not less than 200 hours earned from the required 600 hours during and as part of the structured program.
- You may apply as a certified pharmacy technician once you have successfully completed the educational and training requirements mandated by the State Board of Pharmacy in Louisiana. Application fee is $100.
Is training required for Pharmacy Technicians in Louisiana?
Yes, training is required in order to obtain the license for Pharmacy Technician by the State Board of Pharmacy in Louisiana.
Are Pharmacy Technicians required to have a Continuing Education or CE?
Yes, Pharmacy Technicians who wants to practice in Louisiana must obtain a minimum of 10 Board-approved credit hours yearly to meet the condition of renewing your license.
How often is the Pharmacy Technician License renewal required?
Pharmacy Technicians must renew their license every year. Licenses will expire every 30th of June of the renewal year with a fee of $50. The Louisiana State Board of Pharmacy will send the application to the applicant’s address through mail.
What must be done if I change jobs or change my home address?
The Louisiana State Board of Pharmacy must be notified within 10 days.
Other Louisiana Pharmacy Technician requirements to keep in mind:
- The pharmacist responsible for the instructional training of the pharmacy technician candidate may supervise only one trainee at a time.
- The ratio of technicians to pharmacist must not be more than 2:1 at any given time.
- The pharmacist in charge takes full responsibility for all actions undertaken by the pharmacy technician.
Louisiana Board of Pharmacy
Office: 3388 Brentwood Drive. Baton Rouge, LA 70809-1700
Telephone: 225-925-6496 Fax: 225-925-6499
Professional Association for Louisiana pharmacy techs:
Louisiana Pharmacists Association