Do Pharmacy Technicians get regulated in Mississippi?
Yes, Pharmacy Technicians do get regulated in Mississippi.
Is certification required for one to practice as Pharmacy Technician in Mississippi?
At first NO, but you must obtain certification before the initial renewal period.
What are the approved certification exams required by the State Board of Pharmacy in Mississippi?
The approved certification exams include PTCB (PTCE) and/or ICPT (ExCPT).
When is Pharmacy Technician registration required?
Pharmacy Technician must be registered within 30 days prior to employment.
Is Pharmacy Technician licensure required in Mississippi?
Yes, the State Board of Pharmacy in Mississippi requires pharmacy technician to obtain license before they can practice.
What should I do to become a License Pharmacy Technician?
- You have to be at least 18 years old or older.
- Must have a high school diploma or its equivalent.
- Must be willing to submit to a criminal background check and fingerprinting.
- You must download the application form here and submit a written application requesting registration as a Pharmacy Technician at the Mississippi State Board of Pharmacy.
- Include the $50 non-refundable registration fee plus $40 for the criminal background check fee. Payments may be made via money order or business checks; personal checks are not acceptable.
- You must include your recent (at least within 6 months) passport-type photo.
- Must be able to complete the questionnaire in the application to signify that the pharmacy technician is knowledgeable about the rules governing pharmacy technicians in the State of Mississippi.
- Your application must be duly notarized before submitting.
Is training required for Pharmacy Technicians in Mississippi?
No, training is not required by the Mississippi State Board of Pharmacy to pharmacy technicians.
Are Pharmacy Technicians required to have a Continuing Education or CE?
The Mississippi State Board of Pharmacy are not requiring pharmacy technician to have continuing education (CE).
How often is the Pharmacy Technician License renewal required?
License for Pharmacy Technicians must be renewed annually in the State of Mississippi. Registration starts on April 1 to March 31.
What must be done if I change jobs or change my home address?
The Mississippi State Board of Pharmacy must be notified within 10 days.
Good to know information related to the Mississippi Pharmacy Technician requirements:
- Technicians must wear their nametag at all times during working hours to identify him or her as a pharmacy technician.
- A technician must properly identify himself or herself as the pharmacy technician whenever answering an electronic or telephone calls.
- Pharmacy technicians can only perform pharmacy functions that do not require professional judgment.
- All actions of the pharmacy technician is under the responsibility of the pharmacy-in-charge or the supervising pharmacist.
- The pharmacist-in-charge is allowed to supervise only two pharmacy technician in the pharmacy.
Mississippi Board of Pharmacy
Office: 204 Key Drive, Suite D. Madison, MS 39110
Telephone: 601-605-5388 Fax: 601-605-9546
Professional Association for Pharmacy Techs in Mississippi:
Mississippi Society of Health-System Pharmacists (MSHP)