Do Pharmacy Technicians get regulated in Nevada?
Yes, Pharmacy Technicians do get regulated in Nevada.
Is certification required for one to practice as Pharmacy Technician in Nevada?
No, certification for pharmacy technician is not required by the Nevada State Board of Pharmacy.
Which certification exam required by the State Board of Pharmacy in Nevada?
The approved certification exam in Nevada is PTCB (PTCE).
When is registration required to Pharmacy Technicians?
Pharmacy Technician must apply and receive the registration prior to employment.
Is Pharmacy Technician licensure required in Nevada?
Yes, pharmacy technicians are required to obtain license from the Nevada State Board of Pharmacy.
What should I do to become a License Pharmacy Technician?
- You have to be at least 18 years old or older.
- Must have a high school diploma or its equivalent.
- Must have no felony or misdemeanor convictions on charges related to drugs and must have no history of drug abuse.
- There are three ways to become a license pharmacy technician in Nevada:
- May obtain their licensure from another state that provides license to pharmacy technicians.
- Complete 1500 hours of training as a registered pharmacy technician-in-training in Nevada
- Must be a graduate of any school that is accredited by the American Society of Health System Pharmacists (ASHP). If in case you have a degree but the school is not accredited by the ASHP, you must take and passed the PTCE exam given by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board.
- You must submit a written application requesting registration as a Pharmacy Technician at the Nevada State Board of Pharmacy.
- Or if you plan to have a license, a 1500 hours of training must be completed and submit a written pharmacy technician trainee application to the Nevada State Board of Pharmacy requesting registration.
- Include the $40 non-refundable registration fee for either the technician or the technician in trainee application. Payments accepted in cashier’s check or money orders only. Personal check not accepted.
Is training required for Pharmacy Technicians in Nevada?
Yes, training is required for pharmacy technicians in Nevada. He or she must complete a 12-hour in-service training between the biennial license period and the renewal period. The pharmacist-in-charge oversees the on-the-job training and keeps record of it.
Are Pharmacy Technicians required to have a Continuing Education or CE?
Yes, Pharmacy Technicians are required 1 hour law CE prior to license renewal.
How often is the Pharmacy Technician License renewal required?
Nevada License for Pharmacy Technicians must be renewed biennially on odd-numbered years. License expires on October 31. To obtain the renewal form, you may email the board at email@example.com or call (775) 850-1440 or (800) 364-2081.
What must be done if I change jobs or change my home address?
The Nevada State Board of Pharmacy must be informed immediately. Send an email to dhhs.medicaloffice@Nevada.gov or call the office at 402-471-2118.
More information on Nevada Pharmacy Technician requirements to keep in mind:
- Pharmacy technicians can only perform pharmacy functions that do not require professional judgment.
- The pharmacist-in-charge is responsible for all the pharmacy technician’s actions.
- The pharmacy-in-charge is limited to have three pharmacy technicians under his supervision in a pharmacy.
Nevada State Board of Pharmacy
Office: 431 West Plumb Lane. Reno, NV 89509
Telephone: 775-850-1440 Fax: 775-850-1444
Professional Association for Nevada pharmacy techs:
Nevada Society of Health Systems Pharmacists (NVSHP)