Do Pharmacy Technicians get regulated in Utah?
Yes, they do regulate Pharmacy Technicians in Utah.
Is certification required for one to practice as Pharmacy Technician in Utah?
Yes, certification is required by the Utah State Board of Pharmacy for one to practice as a Pharmacy Technician.
What are the approved certification exams required by the State Board of Pharmacy in Utah?
The approved certification exams in Utah are PTCB or ExCPT.
When is licensure required by Utah State Board of Pharmacy to Pharmacy Technicians?
Technician must apply for licensure before practicing as a pharmacy technician in Utah.
Is Pharmacy Technician licensure required in Utah?
Yes, the Utah State Board of Pharmacy does require Pharmacy Technicians to obtain licensure before working in a pharmacy.
Is training required for Pharmacy Technicians in Utah?
Yes, pharmacy technicians are required to undergo training. It can either be an on-the-job training or a formal training program. A notification form must be submitted for approval BEFORE the start of the training for on-the-job-training. You can download the form here. And for formal training programs, it is required that the program is approved by the Utah Board of Pharmacy. But there is an exemption for those who have worked 1,000 hours as a licensed pharmacy in another state that requires licensure for pharmacy technicians in the past year.
What should I do to become a License Pharmacy Technician?
- You must submit a form “Affidavit of Supervising Pharmacist Responsible for Practical Training Program” for on-the-job training. But if you have completed a formal training, an official transcript must be submitted directly from the approved formal training program or in a sealed envelope with the school stamp. The seal must be on the envelope flap.
- You must have the current PTCB or ExPCT certificate.
- A completed take-home “Pharmacy Technician Law and Rule Examination” must be submitted attached to the application.
- The completed application form must be submitted in-person to the Division of Occupational Licensing (DOPL). The office is located at 160 E. 300 S., Main Lobby, Salt Lake City. You must complete an electronic fingerprinting using the DOPLs equipment or submit 3 fingerprinting cards using the form FD-258 by mail. This will be used by the DOPL to search BCI and the FBI.
- A written application requesting registration as a pharmacy technician must be submitted to the Utah State Board of Pharmacy. The form may be downloaded here.
- Must pay the application fee of $100, non-refundable.
Are Pharmacy Technicians required to have a Continuing Education or CE?
Yes, Registered Pharmacy Technicians are required to complete 20 contact hours every renewal period. One hour of which must be allocated in laws and ethics and a minimum of 8 hours must be live. Take note that those with current ExCPT or PTCB certification are equivalent to CE requirements.
How often is the Pharmacy Technician renewal required?
Registered Pharmacy technician must renew their license every September 30 on odd-numbered years and not based on the date of initial licensure. Thereafter, the license must be renewed every 2 years. You may renew your license online or download the application here.
What must be done if I change jobs or change my home address?
You may change your address or job by obtaining the form from its website division or click here.
Utah Board of Pharmacy
Office: Utah State Board of Pharmacy, 160 East 300 South. Salt Lake City, UT 84111
Phone: (801) 530-6628
Professional Association for Utah pharmacy technicians:
Utah Pharmacists Association
The Utah Society of Health System Pharmacists