Do Pharmacy Technicians get regulated in California?
Are Pharmacy Technicians required to have certification to practice in California?
No, Pharmacy Technicians are not required to have certification.
What type of certification is approved by the State Board of Pharmacy in California?
The approved certification exam is only PTCB (PTCE) as of the moment.
Are Pharmacy Technicians required to have a license to practice in California?
Yes, the State Board of Pharmacy requires Pharmacy Technicians to have a license before they can work in any pharmacy.
California Pharmacy Technician Licensure Requirements
- Must have a High School Diploma, GED or its equivalent.
- To qualify for registration, you must have completed a higher education coursework such as:
- A college degree or other college level programs accredited by the American Council on Pharmacy Education.
- Certified PTCB passer
- Proof of training while in the Federal Armed Forces is also accepted
- Must submit a written application requesting for Pharmacy Technician License to the California State Board of Pharmacy
- You must submit together with the form the fingerprints card following the instructions carefully.
- You must also submit the federal and state criminal background check.
- Include your most recent passport type photo (at least taken within 6 months from date of application).
- Enclose the $80 registration fee together with the application form.
Is training required for Pharmacy Technicians in California?
It depends. There may be situations wherein the State Board of Pharmacy in California may require Pharmacy Technicians a 120-hour externship under the supervision of a license pharmacist.
Are Pharmacy Technicians required to have a Continuing Education or CE?
No, Pharmacy Technicians are not required by the State Board of Pharmacy in California to have a continuing education.
How often is the Pharmacy Technician License renewal required?
The license for Pharmacy Technicians must be renewed biennially on odd-numbered years in California.
What must be done if I change jobs or change my home address?
You need to change your address in the form found on the California State Board of Pharmacy website. Fill out the form and send this to the board within 30 days. This can be done electronically or thru snail mail.
Here are more tips for California Pharmacy Technician applicants:
- Like any other states, California pharmacy technician certificate must be displayed at a designated place in the pharmacy at all times.
- Technicians must wear their nametag at all times during working hours to identify him or her as a pharmacy technician of the pharmacy.
- Pharmacy technicians can only perform pharmacy functions that do not require professional judgment and should not handle controlled substances.
- In the State of California, there should be two (2) assisting pharmacy technicians for every licensed pharmacist on-duty.
The California State Board of Pharmacy Information
Office Address: 1625 N Market Blvd, N219. Sacramento, CA 95834