Do Pharmacy Technicians get regulated in Florida?
Yes, Pharmacy Technicians do get regulated in Florida.
Is certification required for one to practice as Pharmacy Technician in Florida?
No, certification is not required at this time for Pharmacy Technician to practice in Florida.
What are the approved certification exams required by the State Board of Pharmacy in Florida?
The approved certification exams approved by the State Board of Pharmacy in Florida is the PTCB (PTCE). However, a training program still needs to be completed by the Pharmacy technician even after obtaining its certification.
Are Pharmacy Technicians required to get their license in Florida?
Yes, Pharmacy Technicians working in Florida are required to get a license.
What should I do to become a License Pharmacy Technician?
- You have to be at least 17 years old or older.
- Technicians are required to submit a written application requesting registration as a Pharmacy Technician at the Florida State Board of Pharmacy.
- Pharmacy technicians are required to submit proof of completed training program approved by the State Board of Pharmacy in Florida.
- You must include a copy of your US Social Security Card.
- Include the $55 biennial registration fee and another $50 for the application fee.
Is training required for Pharmacy Technicians in Florida?
Yes, a training program is required by the State Board of Pharmacy in Florida to every Pharmacy Technician.
Are Pharmacy Technicians required to have a Continuing Education or CE?
Yes, to practice as a Pharmacy Technician one is required to complete a 20-hour continuing education every biennial year. Along with that, it must be a coursework approved by the Accreditation Council of Pharmacy Education or the State Board of Pharmacy in Florida; and another 4 hours of live presentation and 2 hours of medical law and limiting errors.
How often is the Pharmacy Technician License renewal required?
Florida License for Pharmacy Technicians must be renewed every two years or biennially. The license will expire at midnight of December 31 on the expiration year which cost around $55. You can visit http://www.FLhealthsource.com for online renewal.
What must be done if I change jobs or change my home address?
The Florida State Board of Pharmacy must be notified immediately.
Other Florida Pharmacy Technician requirements to keep in mind:
- Pharmacy Technician students enrolled in a Pharmacy technician training program approved by the State Board of Pharmacy in Florida do not need registration if the purpose of being in the pharmacy is for the sole purpose of receiving practical training.
- An identification card that indicates they are students-in-training must be worn at all times inside the pharmacy premise by those same students receiving practical training.
- Pharmacy technicians whose license to practice are suspended, denied or restricted due to disciplinary reasons cannot register as a Pharmacy Technician.
- Licensed Pharmacy Interns in Florida may obtain employment as a registered pharmacy technician. They are also exempted to pay the fee as well as skip the application process.
- Pharmacy Technicians must display their registration certificate in the pharmacy at all times.
- A pharmacist is allowed to supervise only 1 pharmacy technicians unless permission is granted by the State Board of Pharmacy in Florida to train up to three people.
- Those Pharmacy Technicians registered on January 1, 2011 who was able to complete a minimum of 1,500 work hours under a licensed pharmacist or certified by the State Board of Pharmacy in Florida do not need to complete their initial training program requirement.
Florida Department of Health: Board of Pharmacy
Office: 4052 Bald Cypress Way, Bin #C-04 Tallahassee, FL 32399
Professional Association for Florida pharmacy technicians:
Florida Pharmacy Association