Do Pharmacy Technicians get regulated in Idaho?
Yes, Pharmacy Technicians do get regulated in Idaho.
Is certification required for one to practice as Pharmacy Technician in Idaho?
Yes, but you can already get a job as a pharmacy technician in training while waiting for your certification. You are given 2 years or up to 2 renewal periods to get that certification. However, those who became pharmacy technicians before July 1, 2009 do not need to obtain certification provided they work with the same employer.
What are the approved certification exams required by the State Board of Pharmacy in Idaho?
The approved certification exams in Idaho are PTCB (PTCE) and/or ICPT (ExCPT).
When are the Dates for Pharmacy Technician registration?
Pharmacy Technician registration in Idaho usually starts on July 1 and will be void on June 30 of the following year.
Is Pharmacy Technician licensure required in Idaho?
Yes, the State Board of Pharmacy in Idaho requires registration certificate before technicians can work in a pharmacy.
What should I do to become a Licensed Pharmacy Technician?
- You have to be at least 18 years old.
- You must have a high school diploma or its equivalent. For those applicants under 18 years old that don’t have their high school diploma or its equivalent may obtain a waiver granted by the Executive Director of the Board of Pharmacy. This is intended for high school students to complete their school-to-work programs.
- A written application requesting registration as a Pharmacy Technician must be submitted at the Idaho State Board of Pharmacy.
- Include the $64.25 registration fee.
Is training required for Pharmacy Technicians in Idaho?
No, however, once you become a licensed Pharmacy Technician, you are required to work under direct supervision of a licensed pharmacist in Idaho. That same pharmacist is also responsible in giving the technician under his/her supervision a training program on preparing, compounding and distributing medications. The pharmacist-in-charge is also obliged to keep accurate record of the training.
Are Pharmacy Technicians required to have a Continuing Education or CE?
No, Pharmacy Technicians are not required by the State Board of Pharmacy in Idaho to have continuing education. But for those who want to maintain their national certification must have a continuing education or CE.
How often is the Pharmacy Technician License renewal required?
Idaho License for Pharmacy Technicians must be renewed annually.
What should I do if there is a need to change jobs or change my home address?
You must notify the State Board of Pharmacy in Idaho. Forms are available in their website for download. Fill them out correctly and then submit.
Other must know requirements for Pharmacy Technicians in Idaho:
- Technicians must wear their nametag at all times during working hours to identify him or her as a pharmacy technician when answering the phone.
- Pharmacy technicians can only perform pharmacy functions that do not require professional judgment.
- In the State of Idaho, for every licensed pharmacist on-duty may oversee 6 pharmacy interns, pharmacy technician trainees, or pharmacy technicians at one time.
- Those pharmacists whose license are suspended, revoked, denied or restricted due to disciplinary action are no longer eligible for registration as a pharmacy technician or pharmacy technician in training by the State Board of Pharmacy in Idaho.
Idaho Board of Pharmacy
Office: 1199 Shoreline Lane, Ste. 303. Boise, ID 83702
Mail: P.O. Box 83720
Professional Association for Idaho Pharmacy Technicians:
Idaho Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ISHP)